If The PGA Were NASCAR
So, what if the PGA ran tournaments like NASCAR ran races? What the
heck would they do with Tiger Woods? He obviously is winning more than
his fair share of the tournaments. Obviously, he has an equipment
advantage. Perhaps he tests ... er ... practices more than the other teams
can afford. So, what should we obviously do with the rules to level the
playing field a bit?
- Force Tiger to tee off 10 yards further back than the rest of the
- Prevent Tiger from playing more than 9 holes of non-tournament related
golf per month.
- Adjust the angle of all his irons and woods to reduce his distance
- Change his golf ball to a ping-pong ball. It would still be acceptable
to put his ball sponsor's logo on the ping-pong ball. As a matter of
fact, we'll require his usual ball supplier to supply the ping-pong
balls, but they will have to supply 1000 of them to the PGA for flight
testing in the wind tunnel.
- Replace his normal caddie with Dr. Jerry Punch. This sport's all about
the driver ... er ... golfer anyway. It doesn't matter who the crew chief ...
er ... caddie is anyway. Jerry would be good for publicity.
Think that would degrade golf as a sport? The same line of thinking
supposedly makes NASCAR a more compelling sport.
Copyright © 1999 by Doug Seim and Deep Throttle. All Rights Reserved.